"Then and Now" is a project of the Allen Genealogical and Historical Society with the purpose of posting historical images of Allen Parish, and contrasting the image with a contemporary image taken at the same location.
(Turn cell phones to the side to see the comparisons of the Then and Now photos)
Photography is by Wanda Carole Wrinkle Ford from Wrinkle Ford Creative Arts II
Clicking on an image posted in "Then and Now" will take the viewer to the Photo Gallery, where all the pictures displayed on the "Then and Now" webpaged are posted.
Solicitations of Images
The Allen Genealogical and Historical Society solicits historical images of Allen Parish for publication on its "Then and Now" webpage. Interested contributors may submit images, along with identifying information, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Allen Parish Courthouse in Oberlin, LA
Built in 1912
This photo was taken in 1920.
The staff and security officers of the Courthouse graciously allowed me to obtain a copy of this photo for the Allenghs.com website .
Thank you for sharing a unique photograph of this historical building for everyone to admire and appreciate.
Restoration of the old photo-by Wrinkle-Ford Creative Arts II
The Joy Theater is the first tall white building on the left side of the road. It was located on Main Street back then and today's 4th Street. This photo was probably taken in the 1940s.
Old timers say that they can remember going to the theater for "5 cents" to watch a movie. They said going to the theater with their friends was the highlight of their weekends.
In this photo, the Joy Theater is no longer standing because it burned down many years ago. The big green tree seen here on the left is where the theater once stood.
Notice how the stores down the street are basically the same structures on the outside as they were years ago, although some changes are visible.
Can you spot the changes on the buildings? Check out the vehicles.
Joe Sonnier Cities Service Station
Located on the Corner of 165 & 190, about 1936
Mr. Sonnier started his business here in the 30s . "Mr. Joe" always gave clergymen of all denominations free gas. He and his sweet bride had many happy memories building their newfound life, business, & family in Kinder, LA.
The site is now the C. E. Wood Park, located on the corner of US-165 and W 6th Street. In 1990 the Oakdale Rotary Club erected a beautiful gazebo at this location.
St Paul Baptist Church was built in 1910.
In 1919, it doubled as the first African-American public school in Kinder. It was named Moorehead Public School until 1945.
The land was donated by Julius Captain and his wife Modiste Jacques.
The original bell still tolls in the bell tower. Inside are vaulted ceilings with a historic chalkboard on the front wall.
In 2005, it was placed on the
U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
This scene looking down 6th Street was taken from the steps of the Allen Parish Courthouse in Oberlin, LA 1949.
Notice all of the old cars and trucks from that era.
Near the front of the Courthouse, two gas stations were present--one on each side of the street.
The tallest building on the left down the road was the movie theater which no longer stands.
Reeves City Park is a colorful and inviting spot for children to be outdoors in the sunshine laughing and interacting with family and other children in the City .
It is also a nice place for teens or adults to relax from busy schedules and take in nature for a while.
What a beautiful contribution from the Eagle Scouts of Troop 59 of Reeves LA.
More pictures to come soon !
Please send your old photos of Allen Parish to our email email@example.com. They could possibly be published on the website.
A team with a passion and commitment for researching genealogy and the history of Allen Parish, LA.
Meetings are at the Kinder Library every 1st Tuesday of the Month. Come and join us!
Allen Parish Hospital was built in 1969 on Hwy 190 West in Kinder, La. It started with twenty-five beds . Five years later, thirty more beds were added better meeting the needs of Allen Parish residents. This is the plan for the hospital.
History of the hospitals
In 1946, when Dr. J.J. Storer and Dr. Gordon Buck started their practice in Kinder, it increased the need for a hospital nearby.
Mrs. Alma Cappell took this to heart and built the first small hospital on 9th St. in Kinder, La.
Agnes Kingrey, an experienced Registered Nurse, was the supervisor there until 1951 when she started a hospital of her own on 11th Street in Kinder. Her dedication to her profession made the small hospital one of the best in the area.
After Agnes Kingrey retired in 1966, the doctors and interested citizens started working toward another facility and this was the plan for it.
Allen Parish Hospital
108 N 6th St, Kinder, Louisiana, United States.
Up to 200 employees
Allen Parish Community Healthcare is an acute and specialty care hospital that exists to provide premium quality health care services including outpatient and diagnostic services to residents and visitors of the tri-parish area of Allen, Beauregard, and Jeff Davis parishes.
Outpatient Services include:
Emergency Care, Laboratory, Cardiopulmonary, Radiology, Rural Health Clinic, Specialty Clinic, Cardiology, Physical Therapy and Home Health
Inpatient Services include:
Acute Care, Behavioral Health Unit, Telecardiology, Skilled Nursing Care
New Vision: Inpatient Medical Management of Substance Abuse
Photo taken Jan 2020
Pierre Nevils General Merchandise Store
Kinder LA 1914
Pierre Nevils and his wife, Eleanor Buller Nevils built their store around 1904 on the west side of South 8th street.
Their store was larger than the previous merchandise stores and offered a variety of commodities including ice (according to the book, Looking Back at Kinder by Ethelinda J Andrus and Grace H. Cornish.)
Nevils' building also housed the first post office in Kinder.
The store serviced the needs of the people in Kinder along with the surrounding areas until it burned down.
Christ Praise & Worship Center
It once was the First United Pentecostal Church of Kinder and it was built where Pierre Nevils' General Merchandise once stood.
In the year of 1914, the Pentecostal religion first came to Kinder.
Many people accepted the faith and gathered to worship.
The people were congregating in an old warehouse to have services.
Baptismal services were held at the river.
Elder Pierre Nevils saw the need for a larger meeting place and donated the land where his store once stood. They built this building that still stands today.
An interview with Chester Bushnel of Kinder revealed that this building was from an Air Force Base Chapel in Alexandria that was sold in auction. The church was taken apart and reassembled in Kinder.
The first permanent pastor was Rev. B. L. Clark who came in 1934 and remained as pastor for fifty years. The church building was later sold to the
Christ Praise & Worship Center a Full Gospel Church
213 N 8th St
Kinder, LA 70648
Willis Lormand married the young widow Ellen Nevils Fontenot in 1915. She was Pierre Nevils' daughter.
Willis became a successful business man and leader in his community mostly because he genuinely liked people.
His first store was on main street where he sold everything from groceries to clothes. He rented the building from his father-in-law.
Later, World War II made it very hard on merchants because supplies were short. He sold his stock and closed the store on Main Street. However, he subsequently opened this new hardware store that is in this photo.
This black and white photo appears to be taken in the 1940's on the corner of 5th and 9th street in Kinder.
The present building still resembles the one in the picture from the 1940s. It now houses apartments with the entries on 9th Street.
Notice the front top of the building. It still has the same shape that it did back then. I can visualize where Willis Lormand's name was displayed.
Satellite dishes hanging off of this building were non-existent back then. Television sets were just getting introduced at the 1939 World's Fair, but most people were only listening to the radio in the early 1940's. How times have changed!
The house on the left side still appears to be just like it did when it was built. A few changes include the addition of window covers, the fence has been removed.
The vehicle styles have also changed.
This Google maps photo was taken in 2019.
Share your old photos and stories with the genealogy team on the first Tuesday of the month or email them to us firstname.lastname@example.org
We can now accept negatives also.
This is an original receipt from the Pierre Nevils Store.
It is dated May 29, 1914.
This is the first brick building that was built by John T. Jordan in 1912 on Main Street in Kinder. It was opened as a grocery store.
First bank in Kinder-Calcasieu Trust and Savings. It was located at 4th Ave &165.
It also housed the Post Office.
Missouri Pacific Railroad Station in Kinder.
Soldiers caught the train from here to the base. Many happy reunions of loved ones coming home along with sad goodbyes occurred at this one location. It was bitter sweet!
Mural in Oakdale LA that is beautifully detailed.
The Mural is titled --A Glimpse Back from 1890-1925.
What a masterpiece!
This street is 4th Street in Kinder.
The first white building on the left is the Joy Theater which burned down. The other buildings on the left still stand today in 2020. The fourth building down the street (also a white building) was the Cappell Pharmacy. It was located at 904 4th Street and has now been renovated and is called Kinder Family Pharmacy 2020.
This photo was taken around the late 1940s